Thursday, May 04, 2006

Reading

I love exploring bookstores and the library. There are always so many books that I want to read and broaden my views. I have a huge collection of children's books that I've purchased over the years so that I can read to my kids and hopefully make readers out of them.

The problem is, I like the idea of reading. Even when I absolutely love a book, it takes me ages to read it because I'm not always motivated to sit down with a book. There can't be anything else around to distract me. Right now I'm reading Crime and Punishment and I really like it. For those of you who haven't read it, I recommend it. I also picked up No Greater Love by Mother Theresa. I went to the library the other day in search of a Max Lucado book like Aphra suggested, but I'll need to request a copy since my little library didn't have it. I'm already half done Mother Theresa's book; it's an easy read and also really good.

When I was in high school I took as many English courses as I could because I always did well in them (compared to any math and sciences, but I rarely finished the books. Most of the time I would read part of them and then either watch the movie or ask people about the important parts. If the book was in French, though, I didn't even bother reading it. I don't know how I ever passed those classes. I think I did well in English because I was good at taking the important parts of the books that I knew about and writing an essay about them. All you have to do with essays is prove a point, right? I think I'd get an A in BS-ing. The two books I did finsh and really enjoyed were Far From the Madding Crowd and The Mill on the Floss. The latter I chose for an independent study and my teacher was really impressed since it was so long. The story was sort of slow, but turned out to be pretty good.

My goal is to read more. I always feel better after I finish a book and I love how I learn interesting things. I learned some really cool historical stuff from my Scottish romance books! The ironic thing is that Scott really likes to read, but when we play Jeopardy on the computer I always kick his butt in the literature categories. But that's it. He always beats me by an embarassing amount.

3 comments:

Aphra said...

I tend to get lost in books and generally do finish them.
But The Mill on The Floss is my nemesis. I've tried twice, but I could not finish that. And that was before James was born! (when I had no excuse!)
Right now, I am reading 'Addiction and Grace' that I got out from the Kingston library. (surprisingly)
And 'A Hunger for Healing' about spiritual growth.

Marlene said...

I think I finished The Mill on the Floss because I was the only one in the class reading it. I couldn't ask anyone what happened and I couldn't rely on the movie alone because it might leave something out or add something. It was kind of slow at times, though.

Rachel said...

I LOVE reading! I guess growing up without a tv helped to make a reader out of me. When I was a kid on March break, I used to read one Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys novel a day. I'm not a very fast reader, but I've always spent copious amounts of time doing it. Even when I was in the throws of baby days, reading is the one thing I always made time for (usually when I was nursing the baby or laying down with them at nap time).

Currently I'm reading World Of Wonders by Robertson Davies, having just recently finished the first two in the trilogy it belongs to. Also picked up a book called Summerhill at the library yesterday about a "free school" in England on the recommendation of a friend.