Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sweet Dreams

Dreams are so intriguing to me. Ever since my dad passed away I've dreamt that he wasn't actually gone and he comes back to life and I get to see him again. These dreams always make me so happy and then so sad when I wake up. The irony is that in the days and weeks after he passed I kept wishing it was all a dream and that I'd wake up to find him alive. Now I find him alive in my dreams.
I don't know what it means, though. Can souls who have passed and souls that are still here still interact through dreams? Are dreams our common place? Or is this just my subconscious wishing?
My dad was in my dream last night, and although things that were said between us were vague, his presence was consoling with both what was happening in the dream and something that has been bothering me in real life too.
I wish I knew what dreams were. I wish I knew if they were just explained through science, or if there is some depth to them that as humans we can't grasp. I've had some pretty intense things happen to me while dreaming and even when I am half dreaming, like sleep paralysis . I used to have the paralysis happen to me almost nightly for a while and it was terrifying. Although it's explained as something quite normal, it only happened when I lived with Scott and Shaun and that house on Collingwood Street; a house where really weird things happened. It made it feel less normal.
In the Bible God would communicate with people through dreams, which makes me believe there is something more to them than just neurology. I could easily link my dad being alive in my dreams to when God renews life and creates a new world. It almost seems to easy to make that connection, though.
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I really want to know what other people think.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I find the dream world very fascinating, too. I don't know what I think about things like souls meeting in dreams, but I've had some interesting experiences that make me think more happens than just neurology, as you said in your post.

I've had dreams that involved having out of body experiences. They were very vivid and had a strong spiritual component to them - in a bad way. There was always an intense feeling of an evil spiritual presence in those dreams. When I woke from them, my body felt very strange, as though something had actually happened to it. Kind of like my whole body had pins and needles or I was on nitrous oxide or something. Thankfully I haven't had a dream like that in quite a number of years. They were terrifying.

I've also had the experience of waking up and feeling certain that I was Jason. I felt as though I was seeing the world through his eyes, processing it as he does. I got snapped out of it when I looked down and saw my own, female body.

I've heard of people sharing dreams before and I've wondered if maybe our consiousness can travel while we sleep.

Who knows? It's certainly an interesting topic.

Aphra said...

Especially in times of uncertainty and upheaval like a move, it's nice to have a comforting presence.

I lived on Collingwood St. too in the past #314.

Marlene said...

Aphra - We were at #308. Pretty close by your old place.

Rachel - When I used to have the sleep paralysis there was defintely an evil spiritual component too. I remember one occasion when I finally snapped out of it I called my parents at 5am crying because I was too scared to go back to sleep. It was only a few years ago.