Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Frappuccino and Daycares

We had someone coming to look at our apartment this afternoon so, instead of making the potential tenant feel awkward about opening up closets, I decided to leave. Since our apartment is a greenhouse and it's a nice sunny day, I walked down to English Bay Beach. I stopped to look at some clothes at a couple shops a long the way. I'm not usually a Starbucks customer, and although there is one on almost every corner here, I haven't bought into the craze. Today though, I was enticed by them to try their banana coconut frappuccino. So I went in, feeling quite out of place with my casual jogging shorts and out-of-style shirt and ordered my "tall banana-coconut frap" and walked down to the beach. I enjoyed the first few sips of it and the whipped cream with coconut flakes on top. I sat on a bench in the shade for a while since I wasn't wearing sunscreen and sipped on my cold drink. I started to feel a little cool from the breeze off the ocean, though, and decided to go home. As I was walking my stomach started to feel uncomfortable and my drink had lost it's appeal. I paid $4 for a stomach ache and a bad taste in mouth.

In other news, I applied for a position at a daycare in Edmonton today. It's an idea I've been toying with for a while now, but I'm quite intimidated by the thought of being back in a daycare since I've had very little exposure to kids in the last 2 years. I decided it was worth a shot since it would give me a normal Monday to Friday schedule and the money would be better. Besides, it's much more rewarding to work with kids than to sell china. I told them I'd be available at the end of August since we'll be visiting Ontario the third week and I need to re-take my first aid and cpr. Because of that I'm not really expecting to hear back from them, but at the same time I have the highest level of training for Alberta standards and they might really want me because of that. We'll see what happens. Pray that the right thing will happen for me.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Weather you get the job or not, I don't think you need to worry about not being around kids for a couple years. It is plain to me that you love children and that doesn't go away if you're not with them for a while. You'd make a great day care provider.

Marlene said...

Thanks, Rachel. I get to find out how I am in an interview on Thursday because the daycare called me and set up a telephone interview for that morning. I'm pretty excited about it, but a little nervous too. I've been reading my child development book from college for preparation.

Aphra said...

The daycare would be lucky to get you.

I'll be praying for you.

dawna said...

i'm sure the interview will go well... i understand the nerves as i had a telephone interview before i moved to kingston. it will be nice though, to have it done, and especially nice if you can know that you have a job before you even move! praying for you.

Marlene said...

Thanks for all the prayers and thoughts, everyone. I've been preparing today and I'm feeling more confident. I'll post about it tomorrow.