Friday, June 09, 2006

The FDA has just approved a vaccine for cervical cancer in the US. It works by protecting women from HPV, a virus that can lead to the cancer. Apparently their targeted demographic is women/girls between the ages of 9-26. I don't see any reason why Canada won't eventually follow suit within a few years either. On the MSN website there was a link to an article about it and a discussion started on whether people will want their daughters vaccinated. I'm not sure what to say about it, I haven't thought about it much.
In an ideal world, if we have daughters they will only be intimate with their husbands and their husband only with them, but that may be naive to believe that will happen (although we'll still encourage that in our children). On the other hand, I don't want my daughters to have cancer and if I could prevent it, I would want to. But does a vaccination lead to a false sense of security in people? What about all the other STD's that are out there? It just seems like people are constantly looking for ways to allow them to be more irresponsible. No one wants consequences.
How do you feel about it?

No comments: