Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My Rant

I'm a pretty laid back person in general, but there's one thing that gets me really angry and that is people's blatant disregard for the environment. Everyone has heard about global warming, recycling and the dangers of pesticides, but no one really does much to help the earth out. When I watch the news and I hear about the things like the very real possibility of polar bears becoming extinct it actually brings me close to tears. The government is no help at all either. Bush wants to lift the moratorium that Clinton placed on oil drilling up North, and Harper wants to back away from Kyoto and do his own thing. I know that Kyoto isn't perfect and if it works, will bring only emmisions back to where they were back in the 90's when they were already a problem, but it's something. If he doesn't think it's going to be effective, why doesn't he just add these other policies that he thinks are so great on top of Kyoto?
Bush says that if the moratorium was lifted then the price of oil would significantly decrease. This doesn't sound like someone who wants to explore renewable resources and reduce dependence on oil like he has claimed (He may have said foreign oil, but if he gets his way and drills for oil in our North it's still foreign).

If gas prices stay where they are maybe it will make people think twice about driving as often as they do and espcecially about driving the gas-guzzling SUV's and Hummers I see everywhere here in Vancouver.

Sometimes I just feel at a loss. I know I'm not perfect when it comes to caring for the environment, but a lot of my decisions are made with the earth in mind. Why can't other people just see the importance of this? Why do the majority of people continue to mock environmentalists and call us "hippies" and "granola crunchers"?

No comments: