Friday, January 20, 2006

A working housewife

The other day I had three people ask me why I didn't want more hours at work and what I did all day when I wasn't at work. I was really frustrated and I don't like answering these questions because I don't feel like people really understand anyway. I feel like they either think I'm lazy or that we're really rich. Neither one of those would be true.
I feel so satisfied at the end of a day full of cleaning, baking, cooking or running errands. I love knowing that we're eating healthy (most of the time), we're living in sanitary conditions, and that we can relax together when we are both home. Some people are able to do all this and also keep a full time job else where, but I'm not one of those people. I feel more tired at the end of the day at home than I do when I go to work. Every once in a while it will get really busy at work and because of the seniority that I've acquired they need me to work 6, somtimes 7 days in a row. I always feel so stressed out when this happens because I can't stay on top of my housework.

I really look forward to when we have a house and I can finally start my home daycare where I can do two things I love..work with kids and stay home. I plan to still stay on top of things by doing maintenance cleaning while the kids are sleeping or playing together. No one will question me anymore then. It may seem idealistic, but I only plan to care for 3 kids between the ages of 3 and 5. I love the age group because most of them are toilet-trained by then, they are becoming more independent, they begin to enjoy playing with their peers, and they are so inquisitive. I love interacting with them and talking about how things work and why they do what they do. I also like the idea of them being involved with things such as helping to prepare snack and putting the dishes away. It's a great time to teach them about helping others. I hope to have a yard where the kids can also have their own garden that they can care for and learn about the cycle of life. I could go on forever about all my plans, but I'll leave it at that for now.

No comments: