Thursday, December 08, 2005

'Tis the Season

I'm having a hard time getting into the Christmas spirit this year. I'm missing my family in Kingston, as well and my friends. I had intended to win the lottery so I could fly my family out here for Christmas in Whistler, but it didn't pan out. It would be nice to be with everyone since this is the first Christmas without my Dad and there are two new babies that I haven't met yet.

Aside from missing my family, working in retail becomes a little tiresome. I've never liked how busy stores get at this time of year and I'm right in the middle of it. I'm working at 6:45am on Christmas Eve and then the afternoon of Boxing Day. Our store has had Christmas decorations up since the beginning of October so it's hard for me not see it as an simply area of garish decoration and broken bulbs. Every once in a while a customer will point out how beautiful it looks and I am reminded that the team that worked so diligently on it did do an amazing job.

I am very much looking forward to Christmas day though. Scott and I are coming up with our own traditions and we'll pass them on to our children when they come along. We go to church on Christmas Eve (we've gone to the Catholic church that night for a few years because it reminds me of my childhood and I like that) and the next morning we call our family back home and open presents together. In the afternoon I prepare a turkey breast and some other holiday treats and we celebrate with a small feast.

The fuss and intensity of the weeks leading up to Christmas come and go each year and it's lost some of the pleasure that I used to know as a child. It won't be the weeks before the 25th that I remember though, it will be the time spent with my loved ones. I wouldn't trade that in for all the beautiful decorations or fancy gifts in the world. The times with Scott and my family out east are my gifts from God.

4 comments:

Aphra said...

I went to the mall during the day last Monday (not to Christmas shop or anything- just to get household stuff) and it was very busy. Not as busy as a Saturday, I'm sure, but it was during the day on Monday- I was surprised!

Shannon and Gary mentioned you yesterday (we were at a dinner with them)- I can't remember why they brought you up- maybe they were talking about B.C.? Anyway, I was surprised! You know they are due to have a baby in 2 weeks?

We have heaps and heaps of snow here, but at least it's not really cold- that's supposed to happen tomorrow. You can't miss Kingston winters can you?

Aphra said...

Gah! I just remembered how you came up in my conversation with Gary and Sharon. I was talking about how James had not liked the 'Something Special' daycare (He's in 'High Hopes' now and loves it!) and Sharon said that you had worked there for a bit and you weren't too impressed either.

I can't believe it took me all day to remember this.

Aphra said...

Sorry, that was Shannon not Sharon in my post above.

see-through faith said...

followed Aphra here ... :)

We eat stuff from the freezer at this time of year. I can't cope with all the fuss in the supermarket. Course we have to pop in for fresh milk and bread - though Aphra says she freezes milk ... wondering if that would work here. I'm not sure esp as the cartons have drink/use by so the kids wouldn't touch it.

anyway just stopped by to wish you some good Christmas spirit - that you will be blessed by God even thoughyou are far from your family

I know all about that being in Finland but we've made our own life here now and I love that too :)