Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Image

Last night at about 9:30 I took off my jeans and did some jumping jacks. I did 20 and I was winded and needed to sit down...they're a lot harder to do then I remember them being. What prompted me to do this? Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. I have a healthy body image for the most part, but watching a show like that can make a person a little insecure (or walking down Robson Street here in Vancouver).
I always wonder about the way media makes us think we need to look. It's one of those "what came first, the chicken or the egg" questions. If women in the media were all size 16's instead of 0's and that was portrayed as the perfect size, would we want to look that way? Would little girls want to play with Barbie if she was proportional? I've heard and read that even as babies we're known to prefer to look at someone who is "attractive". All that makes attractiveness apparently, from a scientific point of view, is symmetry.
As much as I would love to wake up and have Hiedi Klum's body, I don't need to in order to be happy (and how is that women who have no body fat anywhere, have naturally large breasts?). I say that we ladies declare war on the fashion industry and be happy regardless of what they tell us should make us so. We all have beauty that no amount of touch-ups, dieting, or make-up could ever reproduce and we need to let it shine!

2 comments:

see-through faith said...

:) loved this post

Body image isn't easy. We have the Spirit of God living in us, yet we do not take care of ourselves. Either we starve ourselves to look like Barbie, or we eat and drink too much (and wrong stuff) adn take too little exercise.

And it's not easy to break those habits. I'm tiny - only 4'10" and wish God had given me a few more inches at least. He could take some off my butt or waistline :) -but the truth is he doesn't look at the appearance, he looks at the heart.

When was the last time we allowed God to give us a cardiogram?

Aphra said...

I agree with you Marlene- the media has distorted what good looking really is.
However, if it inspires you to do jumping jacks, it may not all be bad.

One of my co-workers asked me to check out something on his computer to try to fix it- my office is on the second floor and his in on the 5th. I suggested taking the stairs because the elevator is way on the far side of the building and my office is pretty much under his. He agreed, BUT it was obvious he does not often make this choice. Those 3 flights of stairs almost knocked him out. I think it's important to excercise to keep healthy. It's all about balance!