Friday, December 02, 2005

Quality Programming

When I was little, Sunday mornings were a day that I could watch a classic movie on PBS. I grew up in a Catholic family so my weekends were somewhat predictable. Saturday nights we'd always go to mass and then Sundays were left free most of the time. I'd look forward to finding out what movies were playing. My favourites were Elvis films or anything else with singing in them. If there was a western on, partucularly if it had John Wayne in it, I'd call my Dad in from wherever he was and he'd hurry in to watch. The old movies were something I could always watch with my parents because there wa nothing bad in them. There was little to no sexual innuendos in them, the violence was not there for the sake of it, but to further the plot (and it was never graphic), and there was no swearing.

They've recently added a channel to my cable package called "Turner Classic Movies" and I love it. Sometimes they have theme days and they'll show mysteries, or something a specific actor. At night they usually show movies from the 70's and 80's...probably because they have a more mature content. Yesterday they had a Nancy Drew marathon and last night I watched a Woody Allen Mockumentary which was quite clever. I try not to watch too much TV, but when I watch classic movies I don't feel like I'm watching garbage. It's nice to have something to watch while I'm crocheting.

I am one of those people who latched onto "Desperate Housewives" and "The O.C.", but I think I've seen every episode of "7th Heaven". As cheesy as that show is, and as terrible as the acting is, it's refreshing to see a show that talks about real life stuff and deals with it in a moral and Christian way. I'll be sad to see that show go off the air. I'm sure I'll have my kids watching that one in syndication.

No comments: