Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I'm back

I've decided it's about time for me to get back into blogging. I gave it up almost a year ago when the blog I had started to go in a direction I wasn't happy with. So now I'm back with a new title and I think a new focus.

I got a message from my boss today saying that she had to cut my last two shifts of the week because the budget wasn't there from payroll. My initial reaction was relief because now I have more time to finish what I need to at the apartment before we go on our little holiday. Reality set in though and I hope that my hours aren't going to be cut too drastically when I return because I do need a paying job. I consider myself a housewife first and foremost, but between the work I do at home I go to a store and sell useless things to people so that I can afford a few more luxuries in life.

I feel like I would rant to politicians today about the importance of housewives and how important they are to society. I wish I could get paid for all the work I do here. Although I have no children, studies have shown that children who have the constant care and security of a parent with them are more autonomous and well-grounded. According to Erikson this is the first step to a happy life. But let's face it, it's just not financially feasible for all those parents out there who want to stay with their children. I'm not saying that kids who are in daycare are worse off. As someone who has spent time working at a daycare I know that kids there are well cared for and they get what they need. Also, the parents who wish to be with their kids all day are more likely to spend quality time with them in the evening which is so important to their self-image.

Statitistics have also shown that men who are happily married live longer. Why? I think it's because companionship is a stress relief. Men are also more likely to eat better when they are married which is a no-brainer for a longer life. If women were paid to stay home to take care of their children and their husbands they would be giving long term benefits to the world by raising happier children who are less likely to turn to bad habits and their husbands would be happier at work, therefore performing better and more efficiently. I absolutely do not want to sound like I want a patriarchal society. It's the last thing I want. What I want is a world that has more respect for women who choose to stay home, whether they have children or not. As someone who hasn't had any kids yet I get a lot of strange looks and questions as to why I want to stay home. Very few people understand. I think things would be more balanced this way. of course, there would be no reason why women couldn't go to work outside the home if they wanted to, but staying home would be a paying job. There would never be any lay-offs because a woman's work is never done. Which reminds me...I have to clean the fridge now.

(I'm speaking from my perspective, but obviously men could also stay home and do the same thing)

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey Marlene!

The subject you're exploring here is totally exciting to me. I believe that feminism means having the right to be respected for the work you are doing as a woman - weather it is payed work or not. It's too bad that in our society value is attributed to things based almost solely on money.

I feel for you, wanting to be home even before you have kids. I spent about half of the years I was married without kids at home, working for no pay. I found it impossible to explain that choice to just about everyone. Once you have kids, people at least pretend to understand why you've chosen to stay home.

So way to go, Marlene! Home-making is an incredibly valuable job, even if it's not helping you to rake in the bucks. And I think it's great that you see the work you do at home as your primary job, ahead of the work you're doing for money.

Love,Rachel

PS - thanks for finding my blog, which allowed me to find yours. I'll be checking in here regularly!

Aphra said...

Hi Marlene,

A very thought provoking post!

Before I had a child, I thought I would like to be a stay at home mom, but now that I am back working after taking a year and a half off, I realize that being a stay at home Mom is WAY harder than being a working Mom. Maybe I just needed a different strategy, but I found it really hard.

Now James is 3 1/2 and doesn't have any siblings, I feel the daycare does a better job with him than I do! I feel guilty about that, and I know I shouldn't, but I do.

I've bookmarked your site and am looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Aphra

Marlene said...

Aphra,
Don't feel guilty about anything! Just from reading a few posts on your blog I can tell that you are an attentive and great mother. Besides, no one could ever replace the love of a mother...which is something that the staff at the daycare can't give James. He's one lucky boy to have you!

He probably loves making so may friends too. I know people who have had the same best friend since daycare.