Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Anger Management

Yesterday I was reading about how anger can be good when it's used in the right way and how it leads us to sin when it's directed at the wrong situation. It made me think a lot about how it affects me and I realized that I get angry really easily over things or people that inconvience me; I get frustrated when I feel like someone is being disrespectful to me. I don't think this is abnormal behaviour, in fact; it's all too common for most people.
It's sad how often I hear on the news a story about a teenager getting angry and stabbing someone. It's usually over something so insignificant as a dirty look. I, and so many other people, let negativity infiltrate us so much that it becomes part of what we give to the world. I don't want to add to the problem of impatient and disrespectful people, but I'm afraid I could be sometimes.
Since reading the article in my daily devotion book and really trying to be aware of my reactions I feel less irritable. I'm trying really hard to choose not to get angry. I was angry the other night about some teenagers on the bus who were spitting on the seats. I was also angry (and uncomfortable) when I saw a drug transaction at Burger King. These are things that Jesus would have been angry about. I also got really angry though when a customer was extremely rude and disrespectful towards me. He was the type of person I am supposed to love and pray for. It's easier said than done, but the more I thought about it later the more I tried to figure out why he may have acted that way. I came to the conclusion that he has let anger penetrate him and has held onto that. He most likely has not asked Jesus to help him love people. So what I need to do is pray that he can have peace in his heart.
I know this will continue to be a struggle for me. I know that the next difficult customer I have I will probably start thinking of 7 x 77 not-so-nice things I would like to say instead of forgiving him/her that many times, but I need to remember to take a deep breath, ask Jesus for guidance and to give the struggle to Him. I was told again today that I seem very calm; I'd like to feel more often what so many people see.

2 comments:

see-through faith said...

what daily devotional do you use`? it sounds good!

Marlene said...

I user one that I picked up at a hotel I stayed at. It's simply called "Today". The website for it is www.btgh.org