Friday, October 12, 2007

Change

Yesterday we took Brianna to the doctor for her 4 1/2 months check-up and it went really well. The doctor was impressed by her development and thought that she had quite the personality (she really is a character). I mentioned how Brianna used to sleep in 5 or 7 hour stretches, but now she seems to wake up and want to nurse every 2-4 hours. It's not a huge deal; she usually goes back to sleep pretty easily afterwards, but it's tiring me out a bit. She suggested that we start with some rice cereal now since she seems to be needing more food. It was an exciting idea to try something new with her so last night we gave her a tiny bit of cereal. She didn't really seem too sure of it; she spit most of it out. I don't really think she's ready yet. Aside from that, it just seems like it's too soon just based on her age. I sort of think that she's getting enough food since she's waking me up all the time. It's not much fun, but I think I'm going to have to suck it up for a few more weeks until she's ready for different food. Besides, I know that giving her solid food might not even ensure a longer sleep.


This is Scott's last weekend before he goes back to work so I made a big pot of vegetarian chili for myself so that I can freeze it in small amounts and have a healthy lunch with little preparation while I'm alone. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I do at my dream job all by myself.

3 comments:

Aphra said...

James did the same thing. At 4 months, I was so worn out and the dr. said feed him the cereal but he never really ate any of it until he was 6 months.
i thought i would get relief, but i didn't really, though i did get lots of amusement from watching him!

Rachel said...

It seems to me to be pretty common for babies to stop sleeping so well at around the 4-5 month stage. August certainly slept much better a couple months ago than he does now.

With the girls I found that solids made no difference in their sleeping. Astrid didn't start until 9-10 months and Muirgen started at 5 months. Astrid remained a terrible sleeper and Muirgen remained an OK sleeper.

I've tried giving August a bit of mushed up banana this past week (he'll be 6 months in 5 days) but he still seems to have the tongue thrust reflex, although he is obsessed with getting food off my plate at meal times! I'll probably try again in a couple weeks. Part of me feels like it's so much easier to just nurse!

Marlene said...

Last night was the worst by far. Sometimes she would sleep an hour and then wake me up again. I'd think she couldn't be hungry so I'd try putting her back to sleep without food since she just ate, but it wouldn't work. It was a very frustrating night.