Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Running

Wow, blogging two days in a row. This is unheard of. Brianna has been sleeping quite a bit over the last 24 hours and she's sleeping away in her daddy's arms right now. I'm surprised by how much she's sleeping today because normally she's up most of the afternoon and evening. She's been pretty alert and happy when she has been awake so I guess that means she's ok and she's just tired. Maybe it's just her growth spurt. We took her to the health clinic to be weighed today and she's now 10lbs 15 ounces. She's put on 10 ounces since last week.

I went for my post-partum appointment today and my doctor told me I'm all healed up and can start exercising again. I'm glad to hear it since I found out that I'm still 20lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight. I'd like to lose it plus an additional 5-10 lbs. Tonight I went for a little jog, or at least I started to train my body into being able to jog. I've never been a jogger, but I've always wanted to be. The only problem was that I'd jog for about 2 minutes and feel like I was going to die and I'd think "why would anyone do this to themselves". I still wanted to though. It just looks so exhilarating. I have re-occurring dreams where I can run for miles and miles and feel great. So I found a website that gives a schedule for training your body for a 5k run in two months. For the first week you walk for 5 minutes and then alternate between running for 60 seconds and walking for 90. You only do it 3 days a week so you don't over-do it. I was surprised by how difficult the 60 seconds was (although, I'm not sure why I was surprised), but I was also surprised by how it got easier after I found my groove. I think I'm finally going to be a jogger and I'm pleased with myself. I have a wedding to go to on Thanksgiving weekend and I'm determined to have the weight off by then and be happy with my body. I've really been struggling with the way my body is now and I don't think I have to be stuck with it.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I can relate on a couple levels - I also have dreams about running for miles with great ease and they are very exhilerating. I'm not a runner in real life.

I'm also still carrying close to 20 extra pounds. I don't mind the way I look, but I hate not fitting into my clothes.

Scott said...

It's worth mentioning that before starting this exercise routine Marlene looks absolutely fantastic.

Marlene said...

Thanks, Sweetie. I guess I could look worse, but the not fitting into my old clothes is also annoying.