Thursday, November 19, 2009

Getting excited about Christmas...

I've been really excited about Christmas since the summer this year. It's so exciting now that Brianna is old enough to get excited about it and it's made it so much more magical for me. I'm looking forward to all the festivities that happen and also to finally spending Christmas with our families! We're going to the Santa Claus parade on Saturday which should be great. She really likes Christmas decorations (much better than the Halloween ones that made her a little nervous) and the fact that the floats will be lit up will make it even better. The parade in Edmonton was actually kind of a disappointment which surprised me since it was a big city. They did it inside the City Centre Mall Which has a series of pedways connecting it all around the downtown) since it's usually so cold outside and instead of floats they had people pulling wagons. It didn't have the same appeal for me.

I think I've also convinced Scott to go to Upper Canada Village some night for their light festival. They have all sorts of children's activities and neat things to see. Scott's not excited, but I think Bree (and I) will really like it.

We won't put our tree up right away in December, but Scott is talking about putting up a few lights outside and I bought a little Fisher Price Little People nativity that Brianna can play with (but it has to stay in the same spot!). I like the idea of having a little nativity that the kids get excited about seeing every year when it comes out. I always liked the nativity that my parents displayed, but we weren't allowed to touch it.

Aside from the commercial side of Christmas, which I won't deny that I enjoy, I've been trying to get Brianna to think about the importance of giving to people in need. We've been talking a lot about what we have and some people don't and she got really into the Operation Christmas Child shoebox. She's been talking a lot about "the little girl that's far away" that will get the box with everything we put in it. I also want to get an advent wreath and read stories and reflections every week and start that tradition. It's something that I always liked as a little girl too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
acemummy said...

Hi Marlene, I just came across your blog, and saw you mentioned operation Christmas Child. This is a wonderful ministry. we do it in my church. This year the lady's fellowship orgainised it in a different way, by getting people to bring in a different gift each month, for example one month was, pencils.

I hope you and your family have a blessed Christmas.