Sunday, February 18, 2007

12 weeks to go...

Yesterday I went to the hospital that I'll be delivering at to get my blood test done. It took longer to find parking than it did to actually have my blood taken. When I was there I started to get really excited about the birth of the baby and I can't wait to finally meet her. Perhaps I'm just ignorant, but I'm not scared of the birth at this point and I'm looking forward to feeling those first contractions. I guess when you don't know what to expect you can feel that way. I'm sure that once I get into the 2nd stage of labour I won't be as excited, but I'd like to try to remember that with each contraction, I'm closer to having my baby (I'm an idealist).

I've been so lucky in this pregnancy as far as comfort goes. I haven't had any of the major problems that so many women complain of throughout their 9 months. I haven't had a chronically sore back, I can sleep at night, and I've had maybe 3 bouts of heartburn. I know there's still time for ailments to happen, but a lot of other women I've spoken to have had these discomforts already when they've been at my stage. I think it's partly because I haven't gained a lot of weight. I have a feeling I'm going to gain a lot more weight before the baby's born (not just in my belly, though) because my appetite has increased quite a bit. I find that I don't really get full easily, but when I do, I'm hungry again not long after. It's frustrating, because I don't know if I'm hungry because my body needs the calories, or if I've been using my pregnancy to be gluttonous. I know that I've gotten a little bigger in my butt and thighs, and I don't like that very much. I'm hoping that I'll be able to drop the pounds soon after our little girl gets here.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Marlene, I think it's great that you don't feel fearful about the upcoming birth. Fear is one of the biggest inhibitors of labour. I am also feeling excited about giving birth again and this is my third time. I know what I'm in for. But it's such a miraculous event and being able to experience it is one of the perks of being a woman (in my opinion. I know there are many women who don't feel this way).

As for you appetite - eat away! You'll probably drop the pounds pretty fast, especially if you breast feed. I don't think I know of anyone who hasn't put at least a little extra weight on their butt and thighs during pregnancy.

Marlene said...

That's good to know and I'll try to keep that in mind. Now I feel better about the Caramilk ice cream that I just inhaled.

Aphra said...

I don't think there was anything scary about the natural labour part of my delivery. It was painful, sure, but not scary. The c-section, however, was quite scary for me as I couldn't even watch the video of it in childbirth class weeks before and then I had to go through it! But as long as there are no serious complications (and I'm praying there won't be!) I'm sure you'll do great!

Aphra said...

Thanks for your idea about the steel wool. The problem is, I need to know that they are outside before I plug up the house. Right now, I think they are in our crawl space and attic. Thank goodness they aren't in the house itself!